Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Little Sisters weekend of terror

Training, training, training! I can still only do 5 pull up though! bah humbug! I should be doing more training in the climbing gym too, instead of just general conditioning! Gotta look good for the beaches and the climbs for our trip. :P Two more months till we get on a plane and fly around the world, CRAZY, I’m nervous!

This weekend was a good one, did some training (of course), did a nice jog with Big sister, Melissa and J. I’m not as sore as the first time we went, thank god! and we actually spent a bit of time at “home” this weekend too, I spent my time cooking, I made some pumpkin/squash manicotti, and I discover the joy that is a bread machine, wow, you just add the ingredients and let it do all the work, amazing. My bread is usually rushed and never given the proper amount of time to rise, and half the time I think my yeast is dead or I killed it, always comes out kinda hard and doughy... not with a bread machine though, perfect and fluffy, with a cruchy crust, it’s great!


So, Saturday morning I get up early, and sit down the drink my coffee... what was that? I thought I’d seen something out of the corner of my eye, guess not.. Wait, what was that? My other eye saw something... oh, I guess not, and before I can finish thinking to myself: “maybe I should get my eyes checked...” a mouse come hauling ass through the room. Because I was raised by cats, I took off after it and chased it into the kitchen where it found refuge under the stove, so I sat and waited... but as soon as i stood up to get more coffee, it took off peeling around the corner (if it had been a car, it would have burned rubber), in which case I took off after it, chasing it from kitchen, to music room, to living room, to entrance way, until it took off under the door into the basement. I stopped there, no way I was going to go into the basement. So I told Bern when he got up that the sneaky mouse lived in the basement. B set up a trap and now the mouse is dead. End of story...


The power went out on saturday night, for maybe half an hour, and it was pitch black. I’d been sitting watching something with B, and he was prepared, because this had already happened once that evening, so he makes his way into the kitchen to light some candles. I follow behind at a distance so I don’t run into him. Jordan had been sitting in the den/office working on a giude book, power goes out = lost work, dang (actually it was a goblin yell of frustration, eek). He also makes his way to the kitchen (with a frightful purpose). Bernie who is ahead of me is the first victim, Jordan scares him and I stop where I am, B laughs and I hear him shuffle from the room, taking the candle with him. It’s quiet, too quiet... I think of all the zombie movies I’ve seen. “Jordan?” I called out, wait a second, then I call out again “jordan???” I know he’s there in the darkness, waiting to scare me! My only defense is to fall to the ground. I hear shuffling, and I curl up smaller. J laughs, “Where are you?” Ha, he was right in front of me, I start kicking with my feet, powder-puffing his shins. Jerk, trying to scare me! But I showed him!


It’s actually a good thing we were home this weekend. Bernie has some chickens, and ducks and geese, which he lets wander around the yard (and who follow him around as he does yard work), and on sunday we were all inside chilling (just humans, not poultry), I was making my manicotti and noticed the geese doing their usual thing (wandering and picking at the gardens), but something was different, I look closer, holy shit, the male goose was chasing a bobcat up the hill. hahaha. I called Bernie so he could go and protect his geese, because the bobcat was coming back down the hill. So B went out and scared the cat away, and after a look at the geese he discovered one of the lady geese had a bite mark on her neck. Hmmm, she didn’t seem too bad, so he herded all his poultry friends into their pen and locked them up. The bobcat came back twice more! Looking for food. It left me feeling very torn, the kitty must be really hungry (and we all should know I am quite partial to cats), but I didn’t want it to kill B’s poultry friends, and unfortunately on monday morning the lady goose passed away.



Geese left in the flock: 3

Mice killed: 1

Lives to live: 9


Little Sister

1 comment:

  1. a love-hate relationship with mice--what a dilemma! now there's the big wild cat--another dilemma: to feed or not to feed.

    So...i'm going to find out who is who (not whom, as you might be thinking)in the Sisterhood. The energy in this triumvirate could move mountains, or at least RE-move some whiny scouts off a cliff...

    ReplyDelete